Presentation: Optimizing Decision Making – Facility Lifecycle Considerations
Abstract: Some value engineering initiatives can garner 100% return on investment which are incredibly attractive to public institutions dependent on bond issues to fund capital renewal or investment. The savings are often relied on to compensated for changes in construction prices, upgrade design finishes, add features, expand program scope all without having to increase the bond limit. These funds may show up as renewable energy systems, better playground equipment, safety and security measures, technology, environmental systems…. truly items that make for better schools. However, bond money cannot be invested into the chronically under-funded follow-on operations and preservation of facilities over their remaining 35 plus years.
This is a discussion is a look at the asset creation initiatives that should be considered to optimize facilities and portfolios over their entire lifecycles consistent with the owner’s requirements.
PMI Talent Triangle: Strategic and Business Management
Biography: Scott K. Higgins, PE a licensed professional civil engineer and senior executive providing federal agency level asset management support and has managed facility portfolios and large construction projects as a contractor and as a client. He has provided consulting services to major universities, large school districts, state agencies, a top auto manufacturer, Department of Defense and several federal agencies.
- Senior Military Advisor (former) to the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (facilities)
- Vice President of a top facility consulting firm
- Personal relationship with OSD installations leadership
- Vice president of two construction companies
- Academic director of the Navy’s facility management post-graduate school
- President of the DC Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) – 1800 members
- Bachelor of Science / Engineering Science – Physics – Pacific Lutheran University
- Bachelor of Science / Civil Engineering – University of Washington
- Master of Science / Civil Engineering (Construction Management/Finance) – Purdue University
- Master of Arts / National Strategic Studies – Naval War College
Community Service: Appointed to the Fairfax County Public School Board’s advisory committee for facilities planning and construction representing the Mount Vernon District